Beginning as a childhood dream of becoming a race car driver while selling peanuts and popcorn at Bowman Gray Stadium, Richard Childress bought his first race car for $20 and working out of his home garage has gone on to build what is widely considered one of the most legendary organizations in motorsports history.
Over its 45-year history Richard Childress Racing has become synonymous with success and championships with the legendary Dale Earnhardt. RCR has earned 14 championships, more than 200 victories, and was the first organization to win titles in NASCAR’s three main series.
In 2015, RCR will field three fulltime entries in the Sprint Cup Series and XFINITY Series.
- ESTABLISHED in 1969. First race was the inaugural Talladega 500 at Talladega Superspeedway.
- AS A DRIVER, Childress earned six top five, 76 top-10 finishes and top-10 finishes in five of the eight full seasons.
- FIRST WIN: 1983 Ricky Rudd at Riverside International Raceway.
- SIX time Sprint Cup Series Owner Championship - 1986, 1987, 1990, 1991, 1993 and 1994 (Dale Earnhardt).
- FIVE NASCAR XFINITY Series Owner Championships – 2001, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2008.
- FOUR NASCAR XFINITY Series Driver Championships – 2001 & 2006 (Kevin Harvick), 2008 (Clint Bowyer), 2013 (Austin Dillon).
- TWO NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Driver Championships – 1995 (Mike Skinner) & 2011 (Austin Dillon).
- ONE ARCA Racing Series Championship – 2011 (Ty Dillon).
DID YOU KNOW:
- RCR was the first team to win championships in all three major NASCAR series.
- RCR won the inaugural Truck Series race and season championship in 1995.
- RCR was the first team to win the XFINITY Series driver and owner championships in the same year.
- In 1969 there were 124 NASCAR team owners, only three of which remain today (Wood Brothers, Richard Petty and Richard Childress).
- An RCR team has finished inside the top-10 in NASCAR Sprint Cup Series point standings in 25 of the last 30 seasons.
- RCR has over 200 NASCAR victories, including two Daytona 500 wins and three Brickyard 400 wins.
- RCR has a NASCAR Sprint Cup Series victory at 20 of 22 current tracks. Homestead-Miami Speedway and Las Vegas Motor Speedway are only left on the list.
- RCR won the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Rookie of the Year Award in 1997 with Mike Skinner and in 2001 with Kevin Harvick.